Painting Textured Walls and Ceilings

Consistently cover any surface regardless of condition or texture

When painting textured walls and ceilings (or at the very least, a surface that is uneven - due to the condition of old, inconsistent plastering), the optimal size roller pad to use is, in my opinion, is either a 3/4" nap roller, or a 1 1/4" roller pad (shown in image below) for really rough surfaces.

A 1/2" nap is just too thin to use if the surface you're painting is very uneven, such as you would find in old house restoration. Again, if you are painting outdoor masonry or coating interior texture /plaster, your best bet is a 3/4" roller.

lambs wool roller cover

In the case of painting walls in older houses and buildings, plaster was basically the only choice of wall finish, and although there were many master craftsmen who did great work, sometimes the walls and ceilings were simply not finished very flat. This, in part, was due to the inconsistency of the lathe (wooden strips) support structure that held up the plaster. Suffice it to say, they did the best they could, under the circumstances.

My own personal preference is a 3/4" lamb shearling roller cover.

Why lambs shearling? Because I like the smooth coverage it provides with less spatter, and the ability to hold more paint than any of the synthetic rollers.

(I prefer to use 3/4" on most every surface because I just like the way if "feels")

If you're going to invest any amount of money in a roller, spend a couple more dollars in good equipment, and get better results.

TOP of Painting Textured Walls and Ceilings

RETURN to Painting Procedures

HOME to HousePainting-Guru